Thursday, June 12, 2008

Damaged Goods

About my second year after being diagnosed, when I still went to MS walks and such, (before I realized that I really didn't enjoy them) a woman, who is the head of the MS group in the town I lived in then, said something to me that stuck in my craw and has been lodged there ever since. While we were talking about this disease and all it encompasses, she said, "At least our husbands are still with us." Now, I can't speak for everyone, but the day I am thankful that any man "stays with me" is the day I start laying eggs and hatching my young. Yes, I have a disease that does not have a happy ending, but why should I settle for any man that will just stick around anyway? And I'll be a vermicious knid's uncle before I am grateful that he is with me. Frankly, that kind of 50's housewife mentality is so opposite to everything I believe in (and she was much older, so I had to cut her a teeny bit of slack -- she was probably raised to believe that crap) that I just can't relate. I refuse to settle regardless of what is wrong with me. I would rather be alone the rest of my life than have to be thankful to some man for gracing me with his presence. If a man cannot see past what is wrong with me and see what is right with me, I have no interest in him. And I certainly will not be tickled purple because some man showed some interest. If he thinks he is doing me a favor by looking past my disease, he can stuff his good intentions up his ol' wazoo. I hope no one with any disease (or any kind of physical problems) ever settles for someone just because he will let you worship him for being with you. I'm a dumb beeotch, but I ain't that dumb. Accept all of me, or leave me alone. Now if you'll excuse me I am off to hatch my young.

3 comments:

BRAINCHEESE said...

geAWD, I'm glad you're back!!! Amen, sista...and I hold that thought for ANYONE I hang out with. I certainly don't need FRIENDS, either, that are hanging around for the sake of racking up points in some elusive *heaven*.

Oh, sorry...got distracted by the sound of one of the eggs in my nest cracking...LOL

Linda D. in Seattle

Lisa Emrich said...

Yeah ditto what Linda said. Amen to that.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.