Thursday, March 19, 2009


*Update: Princess is home from the hospital! YEA! This house stayed way too clean without everyone going behind me and messing it up. I didn't know what to do with such a clean house, besides enjoy it -- very odd! My stress level has returned to normal, which is good. I smoked myself completely retarded and my MS Hug held me in an even tighter grip while I worried about her.

Sorry for my prolonged silence. Believe it or not (great show!) we have not been having computer/Internet problems. I know, I know, how shocking. I wish it were that. Princess is in the hospital for a cut on her leg that went awry. She scraped both legs in basketball practice about a week before all this hullabaloo, one leg healed up, the other... well, not so much. It kept getting worse and Saturday she spiked a temp of 105, scaring the turds out of us and insuring herself a tepid bath. It took 45 minutes in the tub before her temp came down. Sugarbowl took her to the doctor the next day and they admitted her to the hospital right there. She is on IV antibiotics and has not been responding -- or her leg to be exact -- to them. They are now trying a drug that is not FDA approved for children, only adults, but Sugarbowl decided to do it because something needs to be done. The good thing is that while on this drug, and participating in this study to help get it FDA approved for children too, the costs for administering this drug and her care are covered. She has been in the hospital since Sunday and her earliest release date is Friday, if they see some great improvements, and even then she will probably still need IV antibiotics and home health to do those. It kills me to see her go through all this and I now understand my mom wishing she could take MS from me and go through it all herself. I would take this in a heartbeat if I could; I would take it before giving it to any of my family. But, alas, I can't.

Why the title of this post? So glad you asked! Let me tell you all about it:

*While we have been spending an ungodly amount of time in the hospital, the dogs have been left alone. The little dog apparently doesn't like to be left alone. The first day he got ahold of a decorative couch pillow and ripped all the stuffing out of it, making the living room look like a snow storm struck in just our house, and making me soooo happy to come home to that. I didn't learn my lesson and put him in the kennel the next day when I left, so he decided to move on to bigger things. He ripped off a huge chunk of the linoleum off the bathroom floor, exposing a serious mildew problem under all that hideous 70's flooring. I removed as much of the linoleum that I could without the proper tools for the job, and have been letting it dry so we can put down new linoleum. I hate that musty, unclean, unfresh smell of moldering ugly linoleum that has taken over the bathroom. After seeing all that, I couldn't help but think that that may be helping Princess have a putrid infection in her leg. I hate sub-par housing and am so glad we are moving next month -- after replacing the flooring, of course.

*My dog had a seizure, just before all this happened, that went on for almost 30 minutes. I gave it a chance to quit on it's own, but when it didn't I had to do something I really didn't want to do: I had to administer Valium rectally. I put on cleaning gloves because I didn't have any latex gloves, which I have now invested in for future use, and lifted his tail. I felt so dirty having to do it, but it was a labor of love. We keep track of his seizures to see how long they last, how often he gets them etc. And on our chart of Gussy's Seizures, Princess wrote how long it lasted and that I put "medicine up his butt." Glad we will have that charted for posterity.

That is my update for now, I will keep you informed of how everything goes and if I have to lift my dog's tail again. I really hope not.



Awe, BB...this just sucks. I hope Princess turns around quickly and all this stress subsides in your life soon. I'm wondering if YOU might need to *glove up* and self-administer that Valium soon!

Hang on...with bloody knuckles if you have to...

Heather said...

Wow! You're going through a lot. I'll keep Princess in my thoughts.

Beth said...

Ok - God must be testing your sanity - He was testing mine the week before and it appears as though He moved on to you and your family. Our prayers go out to you.

Denver Refashionista said...

Man, what a bad string of luck. I hope Princess gets better soon.