Sunday, November 8, 2009

Fabric Of My Soul

If you could take apart yourself, strip everything down to just your soul, what would be the very core of who you are? Your biggest passions in life. What makes you you, or makes you tick. The very fabric of my soul is 3 things. Just these 3 things that if I got rid of all the superfluous stuff would be left.

BOOKS!

The printed word is -- pardon the pun -- printed on my soul. I cannot be without a book or I get restless and crabby. I am a huge reader and will read anything if I can't get my hands on something better, even Sugarbowl's teen crap or my older sister's sappy romances. I never read just one book at a time; I'm always reading at least 2, although that feels like almost nothing to me. I like to read 3 or more, or I feel like I'm not getting any reading done. I can't understand people who don't read. It is incomprehensible to me. What do you do if you don't read? How do you go to sleep at night? No matter how tired I am, my eyes must go over printed words for at least a paragraph or it takes me way too long to get to sleep. A world without books would be a very dreary place and not a place I would want to live in.


Old Houses/Antiques

I love old abandoned houses. I love to photograph them and just take my time appreciating every last detail. They make my soul sing. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's true. I like to go alone and just let the house speak to me without someone else jabbering in my ear, which makes my family nervous, hence why I have a cell phone now. I like the antiques/houses of the common man. I can't relate to the rich and upper classes, being a common woman myself and assuming I would have been in the middle no matter what age I was born in. When I can get away and tear up crappy back roads, I am in heaven.

I love to go antique shopping and could spend all day looking at the old pictures. I have several old albums that I fill with the pictures that spoke to me and that I couldn't leave behind to molder in an antique store when they so obviously needed to come home with me. I have spent a lot of time studying fashions of the past 150 years so I would be able to date the pictures and know what I was looking at. It's amazing the great antiques you can find at a Flea Market or even garage sales and I am always on the look out for anything old -- except old men, sorry, gramps.


Princess

That's right. I love my family like nothing else, but Princess is the light of my life, the apple of my eye, the cream in my coffee. If something happened to that little girl, I don't think I would survive it. I don't want to live in a world without her. That world would cease to have anything for me if she was not a part of it. Yes, she drives me crazy, but I love her like nothing else. She doesn't believe me, but it's true. I would most likely off myself if something happened to her. I don't tell her that, but I do tell her that the world would have nothing to offer me without her an inhabitant on it. She can get me every time. She doesn't know how much she could really get out of me and that is a good thing, because I cannot resist that little girl.


I am very curious about the fabric of your souls, so please do tell. I like to know what makes other people tick, and please forgive me such a serious subject. I don't know what came over me. Probably this great book I'm reading, the old house I drove by yesterday, and Princess's sleeping face in my bed, reminding me of her sweet little face as a baby.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I think-- in my own humble opinion--- that this is the most beautiful thing you've written here on your blog (and I'm THAT much of a geek that I've read this whole blog from cover-to-cover. And the only other blog I've done this with is Erin's "Lemonade Stand". Maybe because I now have no attention span?)

3 Things That Are the Bare Bones of My Life:

Music: almost any kind. I need it to breathe and function. I stalk it and highly enjoy new discoveries. I love it when a song (instrumental or with lyrics) speaks to my soul:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKnxmkOAj88

Knowledge: I need to know what makes others tick. I need to know how the world operates. I need to learn on a steady basis or I find myself stagnating and cranky. Physical and social sciences are my passions. Can't get enough.

My male tabby cat Sandy: he makes me a mom. Doesn't matter whether we give birth to them ourselves or we simply happen upon these miracles by chance (or through other family members.) It's one and the same.

Denver Refashionista said...

Ooh, ooh, pick me. I love this question.

I too pick Books and Writing things myself too.

Movement-- Dance, yoga, aerial dance and yoga-- I love them all.

Now, I will cheat and take two from Jen. I will take Knowledge and Music.

Now I will cheat even further and say, "Connection." I love to truly connect with like minded-people and I love being in love.

Oh, yeah-- Creative stuff in general. I love to write poetry, draw, paint, choreograph, refashion. sing. You name it-- if it is creative, I love it.