Saturday, April 26, 2008

Kiss My What?

Due to recent events I have been looking into new housing for myself and Princess. I don't spend too much time worrying about whether people would want me or not, but whether I want to rent from them or not. I know I am a good tenant, I am clean, quiet and pay my bills on time. So it came as a big surprise when a recent possible landlord was very concerned about the fact that I am disabled and didn't have any recent references. I have been married for 6.5 years and with my husband for over 8 years -- I haven't exactly been renting anything in that time. She was too concerned by my not working, even though I am able to pay the deposit, first month's rent and even a few months in advance if need be. My husband is a champion saver and I am getting a sizeable divorce settlement that is squirreled away in my mother's care. Also my mom was willing to sign the lease for me and say that she would be willing to cover me if for some reason I was unable to pay the rent, which she knows won't happen because she knows how much money I currently have. My mom has almost perfect credit and works full time, she is an excellent "risk." But did this matter to said bitchy-possible-landlady? Heck no. She went on and on about having to talk to her attorney about what they would have to do to rent to a disabled person and what modifications would have to be made. I told her that I am not in a wheelchair and as the apartment has no stairs in it, to it or around it that I would not have a problem. I was also willing to sign an agreement that if anything happened to me that I would not hold them responsible. But all she could think about was my not having a job and being disabled and what that could mean to them. Now, if you read my blogs at all I am sure you can guess how I feel about this. I want to pull an Eminem and circle their house with my windows down, my system up, screaming I don't give a F*CK! And being the forgiving person that I am I put a curse on them: for that apartment to be open and generating NO money for quite some time. Gosh, I am such a good person it almost brings a tear to my eye. I have a new found sympathy for those who are discriminated against. I have never been a person to discriminate against anyone, but now I have made a sworn promise to the God/s that I believe in (don't want to get into that subject and offend anyone, especially as I believe that your beliefs are a personal thing) that I will never, ever, for ever never and forever discriminate against anyone for any reason. I know how it has made me feel, like a lesser person, not quite as good as everyone else, and I never want to make anyone feel that way. So to bitchy landlady, doom on you and may your apartments be either empty for extended periods of time or filled with tenants who destroy them and don't pay! But I'm not bitter or anything...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahh, the place probably had bugs in the walls anyway. too bad for her, to lose such a good tennant.

BRAINCHEESE said...

Ditto to Wonlife's comment...AAAAAND, you live in Nebraska. Since the state has pretty much run out anyone of color or religion besides Methodist and Lutheran, all the fine folks HAVE to discriminate against are the GIMPS and GAYS!

Please don't let me see you on the front of the Lincoln Star tied to a stake and on fire...LOL

Linda D. in Seattle

harkoo said...

I never experienced that kind of treatment when I was using a cane and limping other than a group of people left our table at a wedding reception when they learned I had MS--they thought I was contagious. That landlady is outrageous, rude, and disgusting. You are best to keep on looking for a place somewhere else and hope one of her neighbors reads your blog today! I have found it very interesting to find myself different from other people now that I use a w/c-it is humbling and you come out of it holy. Your level of compassion towards others dealing with anything outside the norm will only grow deeper.

Synchronicity said...

oh what a horrid woman! such a lack of sensitivity and empathy. how would she feel if she were talking to a relative who had a disability? someday it may be her in such a place in life. you have every right to be furious.

BRAINCHEESE said...

Where ARE you?!?

I need my fix of Blindbeard, so hook me up...woncha? LOL

Linda D. in Seattle

Anonymous said...

I am speechless. I would report her to the fair hoousing dept. Maybe even leave a little pile of dog poo right in front of her door too...;0)